Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Postpartum Depression

I think I am ready to admit it.   I believe I have postpartum depression.  Although I have yet to see the Dr and actually be told I have this, I can check off quite a few of the symptoms.  Let me begin by saying this - IT SUCKS!
At first, I didn't think it could be it because Reed is 4 months old now and I figured it was something you got right from the beginning.  After doing some reading, I learned this is not true.  It can begin to develop at anytime during the first year.
I plan to bring it up when I take Reed in for his next well baby check up.  Because I don't want to take a prescribed antidepressant (I'm too afriad to), I have started taking St John's Wort as well as an Omega-3 supplement both which are supposed to aid with depression.
I do think that maybe, just maybe I felt this a tiny bit when Oliver was a baby but it wasn't anything that I thought warranted any kind of intervention.  This time though, it's way different.  Way worse.  Like worse enough that I plan to bring it up to my Dr and am actually taking something for it.
I have also started a running program (Couch-to-5K) because exercise is obviously an important factor in helping me fight my depression.  That and of course I have a billion pounds of baby weight to shed.
I'm not always the most open and honest about things like this.  Normally I would just keep it to myself but
I thought maybe talking about it may be of some help too. 
When the thought first occurred to me, I didn't want to admit it.  I guess you could say maybe I was a little bit ashamed.  I thought, I shouldn't be depressed.  I should be happy.  Elated even.  I have 3 wonderful, happy, healthy kids, family and friends who love us and a helpful (most of the time) partner.  What have I got to be depressed about?  Then I realized it isn't something I have any control over.  Well, maybe some control but let's face it, I'm not in the driver's seat.  It looks like I'm along for the ride with this one.  Hopefully it doesn't last too long. 

4 comments:

1001 Petals said...

There are so many hormonal and other biological changes -- this happens to so many moms, right.

I hope you get good help soon so that you can feel great.

All the best.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Cheryl. This rainy weather doesn't help, I'm sure. You can always stop in and visit. I would love to see the baby!

catherine said...

Take care of yourself - this happens to the best of us! It sounds like you are on the right track with your supplements and running! Running can often cure my worst mood! (ask my husband ;)) Give it time though - it won't happen overnight. You've also had a rough go with all the baby medical app'ts. Remember stress can make you feel down too and all those baby medical app'ts are very stressful! Thinking of you!

The confessions of a blogaholic said...

I think I might have had PRE-partum depression. No fun.

You should definitely talk to your doctor. If it is, you need to know. But it might not be. Having babies is EXHAUSTING and add on two other high-energy boys and you could just be severely exhausted.

Good luck.