Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sophie the Giraffe

Just about everyone who has an infant or toddler knows who Sophie the Giraffe is.  She is made of rubber (which I think smells nasty btw).  She is soft, light, and easy to hold.  Babies especially seem to love her bumpy head for chewing.  Hell Reed shoves a whole leg in his mouth and gnaws away.
Sophie however is pretty expensive.  She retails for about $25.  That is quite a chunk of change for any infant toy. 
I was far too cheap for spend that much money on a teething toy.  Then Reed started teething.  I remembered my niece had one so I asked my sister what she thought of it.  She had stated that Rita loved it.  She asked me if I wanted to use it.  To save myself the $25, I said sure. 
Reed's Sophie is very homely looking.  After we washed, and scrubbed her clean, she was left with no spots.  She is just a white giraffe.  Not nearly as cute as she looks new.  Whatever, I didn't care. 
I can however say that she would be worth every single one of her $25.  He loves this thing.  I would say it's his favorite play thing.  He loves to chew on her.  It's really quite cute watching him chew on her.  I'm actually  glad sometimes that she isn't as cute because I think I would feel bad when she is looking up at you when he is chewing away on one of her legs. 
It's hard to know what products out there for babies/kids are worth the money and which ones are just a trend.  I always thought of Sophie as a trendy toy but as I said earlier, she is very much worth the money.     I don't think of her as a trendy toy anymore. I wish I had known about her when Jack and Oliver were babies.  I would definitely suggest this teething toy to any of my friends who are having or have babies. 

2 comments:

1001 Petals said...

I agree that that toy is really expensive, but worth it. V loves hers to this day! She's over 3 yrs old now and still plays with it :) I don't think I'll be able to get her to share it with Oliver, I may have to get him his own. If he plays with it for that long it'll totally be worth it.

Unknown said...

Sophie is priceless!! I too was like you. All Jax's friends had Sophie, I actually thought she was a dog toy, until someone was like "Tiffany you don't know Sophie the giraffe?!" Well then I was like okay, I'm not up to date on my baby stuff, then I saw her at chapters and thought, what the hell!!! I'm not paying that. A wonderful g.f. bought Sophie for us, as you have seen her. Sophie you are wonderful, you don't age well, but are a #1 item for every baby! Hell I'd buy a brand new one for each kid, lol