Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I'm A Big Boy Now

I am very excited to say that Oliver is finally potty trained.  Back in August, I attempted to potty train him using a 3-Day potty training program.  After 5 full days of wet pants and floor, I gave up.  He just must not have been ready.  I know some of you may be thinking I gave up too easily but he made no effort.  He didn't even try to make it to the potty - ever.  I figured I'd just wait.
Fast forward to Friday Dec 10th.  I was looking after my nephews for the evening and watched an episode of Supernanny.  The family had a son who was also 3 and not potty trained.  Watching him was like watching Oliver back in August.  The Supernanny called the parents lazy.  I had to agree with her.  Not about them, but about me.  That is exactly what I was being.  It wasn't even like I took offence to it.  I knew she was right.  I knew I was being lazy.
I couldn't stop thinking about the stupid show all weekend so come Monday when Oliver got up, I put his pull ups out of his sight, put some underwear on him and decided I wasn't going back.  Getting underwear on him wasn't that easy.  He refused.  He cried and protested and wanted his pull up.  It was only when he wanted to go downstaris with me to do laundry that I could get him to put underwear on.  The rest is history.  It's been smooth sailing.  He's only had a handful of accidents.  He initiates going.  I rarely ever have to prompt him to go - usually just before a nap, bedtime or if we are going out.  I do still put a pull up on him at night.  Only twice has he woken up wet and both times were when he's fallen asleep at dinner time and not woken up until the next morning.  I will probably just put one on him until the bag is finished.  I am so very proud of him.  It may have taken a long time to get here but it's been going so smoothly I don't even care.  It was worth the wait. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEH!!! Mommy and Oliver both!!
I am so proud of you
xoxo

Unknown said...

WOOHOO Oliver!! Your not lazy did you forget you just had a baby in June, so I think it's totally normal not to want to put up with that. I did the same with Jax and it worked out great.