Monday, January 3, 2011

'Tis The Season

I hate the winter months,  Winter here in Durham is not what I call winter.  It's horrible.  It's cold but we don't have any snow.  I'm not exaggerating either.  We have absolutely no snow.  What does one do with small children during the winter months when there is no snow?  I have no idea.  I can only play so much hockey.  The grass is frozen.  The toys are frozen.  Everything is frozen.  My poor children.  I feel horrible for them.  It does not help with getting them outside for fresh air.  I don't know how many times I've heard they are bored of going for walks.  I'm stumped.   
Winter is also the season of colds.  I've already waved my white flag.  I did this a few years ago.  There is no avoiding colds.  I've already come to accept that between November and April, somebody is going to have a cold.  I should really buy stock in Kleenex.  Toilet paper too come to think of it.  That stuff is gold.  We have all had a terrible sounding/feeling cough for weeks now.  My poor Jack ended up with a nose/throat/double ear infection.  Reed's been put on puffers for wheezing.  Shawn has started taking Buckley's.  He talked me into trying it, I couldn't do it.  I swallowed the tiniest sip and spat out the rest. lol  It was awful.  It tastes exactly how Vick's smells.  Yuck.  No thank you. 
The kids are all tucked into their beds (hurray for quiet time).  It more often then not ends in naptime for Oliver and Jack doesn't have a problem being quiet as a mouse.  Reed, he has no sleep pattern.  He just sleeps whenever he feels like it.  We haven't any kind of routine.  I've very much just let him sleep whenever he wants for however long he wants.  I know it would be very benefecial to get him into a routine but we aren't really a routiney family and well, I don't really  have a problem with his sleep routine right now.  There will come a time (spring) when I will begin to mind it and I'll just cross that bridge when I get there.   
There is so much I could be doing now.  There is always laundry to do, there are toys everywhere, my floors would probably love to have a date with some water.  I think I chose to forget about it and will curl up and read a book.  That sounds a lot more pleasant.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You sound like me! lol I hate winter without snow, We should just move to florida. Whats the point of cold if there is no snow. Buckleys yuck. Chris made me take it once because I was being a baby, well I'd rather be a baby, I puked from it. I hope all of you get rid of your sickness. Maybe a family visit to the Docter is in order for you guys. We had to do that two years ago because a common cold was just getting passed back and forth and not going away. We had all been sick for a month until I caved and said enough was enough we need antibotics to fight it.